Tuesday, February 9, 2010

First Paideia Lecture

In our first Paideia II Lecture, we brainstormed about the purpose of education and the function that teachers serve in educational settings.

I believe that there are many answers to the question "What is education for?" But my answer is that the purpose of education is to encourage individual and social growth. I think that this is much more important than just learning skills to prepare for a future job. My answer to this question might change as I move into the next stage in my career and actually start teaching.

My answer to the question "What are teachers for?" is that teachers are to get children to like to learn, or to create life-long learners. This involves motivating the students, creating a safe learning environment which will foster inquiry and creativity, and becoming a role model for the students.

The only part of the lecture which bothered me was that Max said that all of our answers were very idealistic and typical of first-year teachers. That comment made me wonder what causes teachers to change their answers to these questions. Also, why should I have to change my answers once I become a teacher? Are these not worthy goals to strive for?

1 comment:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

I always enjoy reading your work. If one becomes a life-long learner is it for the sake of learning alone or are there other reasons beyond that? Is it about being in control of our choices or for helping make life more purposeful or for power? Also....I would agree; the trick is for "typical first year teachers" to hang on to idealism and optimism and for us all to figure out ways to support them as they are faced with the tough realities of complex students and systems. Keep thinking and I will look forward to future entries.