Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Politics of Teaching: Discourses

In this class, we are reading selections from Lisa Delpit's book "Other People's Children - Cultural Conflict ini the Classroom."  There was one particular passage from our latest reading which stood out to me.

"The second aspect of Gee's work that I [Delpit] find troubling suggests that an individual who is born into one discourse with one set of values may experience major conflicts when attempting to acquire another discourse with another set of values.  Gee defines this as especially pertinent to women and minorities" (pg. 154).

I agree with Delpit in that Gee's work to be troubling.  What I don't like is that Gee asserts that women have to acquire another discourse.  I know that in the corporate world, women have historically hit a "glass ceiling," and therefore had to possibly adopt a different set of values than their natural values in order to succeed, but this is changing.  I personally do not feel as if I have had to acquire another discourse, and I think that I have been quite successful thus far with my natural discourse.  I am not quite sure why Gee assumes that women have to give up our natural discourses.

No comments: